Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Touched by a New Kid, next a Go Go

Well the fulfillment of a dream came true last night...for my wife that is. She got to actually touch members of New Kids on the Block .

The New Kids were/ are her favorite thing to happen to music EVER. Whenever something New Kids related occurs, a fourteen year old girl busts out of her. It doesn't bother me as it makes her tremendously happy, and who doesn't want to see their spouse happy and all aglow? Sure it was just a quick handshake while she was at the edge of a revolving stage, but nonetheless, she got to go palm to palm for a matter of seconds with her favorite New Kid Joey McIntyre (who also smiled at her when he saw the sign she had made with markers and glitter saying "I LOVE JOE NKOTB!") , as well as Jordan Knight, Donnie Wahlberg (who, I am told, is a solid #2 in her heart) and Danny Woods who I refer to as "Pig Face"(he is not a handsome man).

While it is great sport for many to put down the New Kids, as the reviewer in today's Ottawa Sun cattily did, it is equally easy to see the effect these boys have had on at least two generations of young woman, all of whom love and adore them. The massive success of this year's comeback tour speaks for itself, and my wife, in her "Property of Joey McIntyre" T-shirt, came home last night an extremely happy woman. Anyway, this touching-in both senses of the word- incident means one thing:

I may now touch as many Go Gos as I please.

It's only fair. Though the members of the band are bow in their 50's, anyone who saw the Go Gos lead singer Belinda Carlisle recently on Dancing With The Stars has to admit she has aged very, very well. However, and I have discussed this, and obtained permission from, my wife in one of those "kinda unlikely it will ever happen" sort of things, rather than touching each individual member of the Go Gos (sorry Belinda!), I would much rather simply touch Jane Wiedlin repeatedly.

Jane was my big rock star crush in high school. While I have grown disinterested in most of the rock stars I loved in high school, (okay, maybe not The Police, Talking Heads and Duran Duran, now that all the Ramones are dead), I will always carry a torch for Jane. I loved her first solo album and her most recent one, which came out in 2002, I listen to often. She is a terrific musician and song writer and still has tremendous sex appeal. If I lived in New York, I would be found every week watching her new band, which performs classic standards from the Sinatra era, at a small club (I also love the music of the Sinatra era, but that's a whole other blog).

As with many of my varied obsessions, I am aware I am one of the few people in the world with this opinion, but what can I say?

I'll say this. Some day, I get to touch Jane Wiedlin at least four times. it's only fair. It is written.

No comments:

Post a Comment